The main idea I took away from this piece was the intricacies and nuances of the curriculum. The interwoven aspects of the planned and live(d) curriculum constantly change, forming parts of a whole and a whole of changing/transformative parts. Aoki used analogies, and I found one that helped me make the confounding enlightening: a puzzle. A puzzle has many different pieces, and no pieces should be the same, yet when combined, they formulate a beautiful image.

Photo by Ross Sneddon on Unsplash

Each piece is needed to finish the puzzle, but even with some pieces missing, the image can still be recognizable and successful – parts of a whole. The completed puzzle represents the planned curriculum, traditional, mandated, and provided to educators. We contribute pieces to set our students up for success.  However, this puzzle isn’t complete. By arranging the ‘finished’ puzzle, the maker is given more pieces to create a new one, illustrating a whole of changing parts. The live(d) curriculum consists of these transformative pieces. Each student, colleague, and parent bring their own life experiences and perspectives on education and the curriculum.  I now see the completion of this transformative puzzle as the full potential of the maker. It will look different for each person and have varying pieces, but all will transform into a unique, beautiful image. This full potential might not be reached within institutional education but later in life. We are just a piece of the puzzle.

As part of this puzzle, I feel it is imprudent for me to work on my own puzzle, examining the interwoven aspects of the curriculum: planned, live(d), and spaces.  Having taught the planned curriculum since 2007, I am confident in my mastery of the material. However, my focus increasingly shifts towards the live(d) curriculum each September as I adapt to the unique needs of my students and evaluate my ability to support their success.  In 2018, teaching in a classroom where many students had live(d) experiences vastly different from my own prompted me to embrace trauma-informed practice. This approach, initially part of a school action plan, emphasizes recognizing and responding to the impacts of trauma with sensitivity and understanding. It involves integrating this awareness into daily practices, policies, and interactions to foster a safe, respectful, and empowering environment for students. I have since recognized the profound value of this approach in any educational setting, especially in addressing unseen traumas that can impact learning and growth.

Reflecting on Aoki’s concept of spaces within education, I acknowledge the inherent tensions and limitations that can restrict students from realizing their full potential. Despite these challenges, I am committed to cultivating an inclusive school environment where every student feels valued, understood, and empowered. By continuously refining my understanding of both the planned and live(d) curricula, and critically examining the spaces they inhabit, I aspire to make a meaningful and positive impact on my students’ educational journeys.