Hailing from a quaint town in Manitoba, a place unfamiliar to most, and embracing the charm of its obscurity is a something that I wouldn’t trade for anything. Nestled in the southern, rural reaches of Manitoba, the town, hardly deserving the title, housed no more than 300 residents. A close-knit community where everyone knew each other, often connected by familial ties, whether through distant relations or first cousins. My childhood echoed with laughter and exuberance, marked by adventures like being towed on a piece of plywood behind a riding lawn mower, wondering and the challenge of “who will fall off first?” Thankfully, our common sense prevailed—mower was disengaged, with our wits about us most of the time.

When asked the typical childhood question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” becoming a teacher was never on my list. My responses usually revolved around three fields: environmental conservationist, a published author, or a journalist. However, a pivotal moment in Grade 12 altered this trajectory. My English teacher, Mrs. Steppler, suggested, “Ashley, have you ever considered becoming a teacher?” Respectful of her opinion, I pondered. Mrs. Steppler saw beyond the surface, recognizing my contributions to the school—coaching, assuming leadership roles, and being a peer sought for alternative explanations.

With Mrs. Steppler’s thoughtful recommendation, I embarked on my teaching journey in 2007, relishing the surprises each academic year brought. Each new group of students became a source of continual learning—uncovering new aspects about myself or acquiring innovative tools to enhance teaching practice. Keeping abreast of technology in the classroom became a focus, having been part of grassroots technology initiatives in former school districts.

My teaching  career has expanded almost two decades, the majority of it teaching in Alberta, except for a short stint teaching overseas in Beijing, China. I fell in love with Alberta’s landscape and found a second home. Settling around Calgary, closer to the mountains—my happy place—where the alpine air offers solace when life feels overwhelming. Nothing compares to the embrace of fresh mountain air.  I look forward to the next part of this journey and what it brings.

All photos taken and posted by website author.