While reading Aokiā€™s Chapter 16, Humiliating the Cartesian Ego, the concept of ā€œthis/that and moreā€ struck a chord with me. Much of my teaching career has been focused on integrating technology to help 21st-century learners, so I am working to obtain a Master of Education in Technology studies.Ā  When I started, I, too, felt the balance and burdens of technology and feel that argument is still evident today.Ā  However, there needs to be a balance of technology in education and more focus on the constructive uses of technology on studentsā€™ learning experiences to create authentic learning experiences.Ā  Being purposeful in integrating technology and demonstrating preferred usage sets students up for success.Ā  Purposely selecting technology to meet pre-determined objectives or purposefully integrating technology choices in your teaching practice helps students to learn authentically as 21st-century learners.Ā  For example, when I have summative assessments, I always give my students choices, including technology, no technology, or hybrids of various formats.Ā  I allow them to choose the format they want to use.Ā  Itā€™s interesting to see their choices.Ā  Students you think are tech-savvy because they are always on their phone or a laptop actually prefer doing work by hand.Ā  I am always open to suggestions of how students wish to demonstrate their learning.Ā  After listing 6 or more choices, a student may want to demonstrate their knowledge in another way; I will always say yes unless they cannot make connections between the objectives and their chosen format ā€“ very rarely have I ever said no.Ā  Sometimes I will make suggestions to students to ensure that they meet the requirements and are set up for success.

Photo by Egor Myznik on Unsplash

Reflecting on my teaching practice, I note that there is an ā€˜either/orā€™ mind frame at times, but I also let students know they are welcome to share or explain other ways of looking at materials. I acknowledge I can be very Cartesian-oriented in academic thinking, but I am also open to suggestions from students or colleagues. If I was not open-minded, I donā€™t think I would ever grow as a person or a professional.  I guess I do tend to live in ā€˜this/that and moreā€™ world then? I’m not sure at this moment but am intrigued by this concept.  I feel it really does lend itself to encapsulate what being an educator is. Having an open mind and classroom allows for students to grow as well. This open-mindedness is not just a personal trait, but a professional necessity that fosters growth and development in both educators and students.