In my mind, I picture a classroom where technology seamlessly weaves its magic into every facet of our learning odyssey. It’s a place where reliable gadgets align with engaging lessons and where, at times, we intentionally unplug for a bit of tech detox, fostering genuine social connections. This… this is my dream learning environment. The reality has been far from this ideal fantasy.

Reflecting on my career, I’ve experienced the spectrum—from tech-savvy classrooms where wants and needs are met to those that seemed stuck in the era of dial-up internet. My journey started in a rural prairie school where we proudly led the technology charge in our area, boasting reliable dial-up networks and sleek, fast-processing IBMs. I clearly remember computer classes in the school library during Grade 5, where I honed my typing skills on Macintosh computers using Ultra Key and those quirky keyboard covers, repetitively typing “A SAD DAD AS A LAD HAS A FAD…” It’s amusing how my ability to type without glancing at the keys now impresses my students, who fumble through sentences, taking minutes for what I could type in seconds.

Fast forward to today, and I find myself in a district privileged with technological abundance. It may not be top-of-the-line technology packed kitted out with all the bells and whistles, but it’s usable and reliable. Students either have their own devices to complete schoolwork. Funnily enough, I am in the district that started my technology journey in education. I started my career up in Grande Prairie, Alberta, in the Grande Prairie Catholic School Division. At that time, whiteboards were finally replacing all the chalkboards, and it was exciting to not have to worry about sneezing from all the chalk dust. Soon after Smartboards, online grading systems, and subsequent technology were introduced. When I finally obtained my permanent teaching contract in the Division, I was invited to join the District’s 21st Century Learning Cohort. We examined the usefulness of 1:Many devices, and the school district we visited and gathered valuable information from was Rocky View Schools (RVS), where I am currently teaching. Now I’m a teacher within RVS and pursuing my Masters of Educational Technology.

At RVS, they’re all about keeping it tech-savvy without breaking the bank. The district’s rule is simple: students need to bring their own devices or grab one from the school stash. It’s a clear move to make tech a part of every student’s learning toolkit. On the ground, our school is wired up with a solid tech setup and infrastructure—400 Chromebooks, 50 AirBooks, digital cameras, and other recording equipment for students to use. But RVS didn’t forget about the teachers! They’ve got MacBooks too, making sure the tech use is strong in the teaching game. Inside the classrooms, it’s a bit like a tech buffet. In my space, we’re deep into digital usage, with Google Classroom taking the lead. I’m all about saving trees, even if the paper budget forces my hand. Students have their pick of tech options—personal gadgets, school gear, or Chromebooks on loan from the teacher. This three-tiered tech trifecta, from district rules to school gear and classroom moves, displays a positive relationship with the integration of technology in education.