In the spring of 2007, amidst the beauty of the prairies, I proudly strode across the University of Brandon stage to receive my Bachelor of Education with a focus on Senior/Middle Years. Coincidentally, Fred Penner graced our convocation, accepting an honorary Doctorate of Music. His lively acceptance speech, coupled with two of his iconic songs, electrified the audience, especially us Education graduates. The Education program graduates rose to their feet, clapping and singing along with such enthusiasm, outshining the rest of the convocation attendees as Fred Penner concluded with “The Cat Came Back”. The memory of that day, filled with excitement and shared laughter among future educators, remains vivid.

Photo from Unsplash in collaboration with Getty Images.

After basking in the joy of finally becoming an educator, I embarked on my teaching journey by relocating to northern Alberta to teach middle school for seven years. Though I cherished my time there and gained invaluable insights from colleagues, a fascination for international teaching experiences lingered. In 2013, I ventured to South Africa, volunteering at a township school near Cape Town. This experience only fuelled my desire to continue exploring the world and teaching. Consequently, the following year, I found myself in Beijing, China, embarking on a transformative teaching journey. These experiences broadened my perspective, enriching my teaching approach.

I returned to Canada with a broader worldview that I felt would only enhance my teaching practice. I planned on teaching in England but, being over the age of 30, had trouble getting a visa. So I returned to the land of oil and mountains – Alberta – to continue teaching. I always knew that I wanted to get my Masters but had little inclination to strive for administration. I waited until I found a program that involved my love of education, learning design and education; this lead to the University of Victoria.

Photo by Brandon Bean on Unsplash

Despite initial plans to teach in England after China, visa challenges led me back to Alberta, where I continued to teach middle school and ponder what Masters degree I wished to pursue. I discovered a Master’s program centered on Educational Technology, offered online by the University of Victoria, and instantly recognized it as the perfect fit for my interests and aspirations.

Throughout my career, I’ve relished the art of crafting engaging learning experiences, seamlessly blending creativity with pedagogy. This passion extends to the meticulous process of learning design, where I find joy in developing activities and lessons that provoke student engagement. Whether through integrating art into the curriculum or embracing project-based learning, my goal is to foster a classroom environment where curiosity is nurtured, and learning thrives.

Over time, I’ve honed my approach to learning design, drawing from the principles of Understanding by Design and project-based learning to create cohesive educational experiences. My method typically involves backward planning, wherein I identify desired outcomes and curricular demands before designing activities that guide students towards these objectives. This thoughtful and, hopefully, dynamic approach to learning design continues to inspire me as an educator, enabling me to cultivate meaningful learning opportunities for my students.

Photo by Zainul Yasni on Unsplash