“Wait, this is completely unfair!”

“Sorry, but I don’t like you as much so you have to pay me more”

“What if I don’t have enough to live off over the next year?”

“Why do I have to pay the church? What if I don’t care about what happens after I die?”

To an outsider, stepping into my classroom without experience teaching children, this might appear chaotic but beneath the surface, learning is taking place. These interactions among my students are not merely noise or complaints; they are evidence of inquisitive minds making connections. Lessons like these, taken from a simulation conducted in my Grade 8 Social Studies class, are fundamental to my teaching approach. Integrating hands-on learning activities into a Humanities-based curriculum can present challenges at times, I find that simulations, particularly in Social Studies, significantly enhance engagement and understanding of concepts.

Photo by Brett Jordan on Unsplash

The simulation used is called Feudal M&M and assigns each student a role: King, Nobles, Vassals, and Peasants, with an additional Church tithe and role added. Through simulated transactions, students gain a deeper understanding of the complexities of social hierarchy and the importance of loyalty in feudal societies. You can access a free copy of the simulation here. It’s fascinating to witness the excitement of the “Peasants” as they realize the rewards of their labor in M&M form, juxtaposed with their disappointment at the various taxes and tithes they must pay. The distribution of favors by the “King” among his favorites never fails to spark discussion and interest among the students. However, the experience leaves them with a more profound comprehension of the feudal system and the challenges faced by individuals in different social strata.

The post-simulation discussion, particularly from the perspective of the peasants, is rich with insight. Many students who initially assumed the role of peasants express a desire to experience the simulation from a different perspective. Given the opportunity, I accommodate their requests. Witnessing their understanding of the implications of social hierarchy and the disparities in wealth and power fills me with pride as an educator. Whenever possible, I seize the opportunity to incorporate hands-on learning experiences into my teaching methodology, as they foster deeper understanding and engagement among my students.

Jonathon Best: Press Play — Gaming, Simulation & Achievement in the Classroom from TEDxDenverTeachers

Moreover, my own educational journey has been influenced by hands-on experiences, which is why I prioritize and value the time for such activities in my teaching. An unforgettable learning moment for me occurred during my Grade 11 Biology class field trip to Fort Whyte, Winnipeg, Manitoba where my class engaged in various simulations and field experiments. Despite the rainy, muddy conditions, and returning to the school resembling drowned rats, we all were beaming with smiles and our stoic science teacher shared our enthusiasm. His heart swelled with pride at our engagement and excitement, mirroring my own feelings as I witness the profound impact of hands-on learning experiences on my students’ understanding and enthusiasm for learning.